Guatemala, My Motherland, is Bleeding

On a Thursday, September 3, CICIG, a commission against impunity in Guatemala sent by the UN several years ago, unleashed hell on our the man who is arguably the country’s biggest criminal: the President. A few weeks prior, the Vice President had been arrested for her involvement in the biggest fraud case in the country, La Linea.

My name is Peter, and Guatemala is my country and Motherland. The country expects nearly two million visitor per year, and 80% end up in Antigua, the colonial town where I was born. The town is dotted with old catholic temples, rich with ruins, and brimming with dilapidated buildings destroyed by successive earthquakes. Pedestrians traverse our cobblestone streets, passing characteristic colonial houses.

guatemala is bleeding

Before you start falling in love with Antigua, you have to learn the truth: my Motherland is bleeding. When was the last time paranoia overwhelmed you while walking around town? Or when was the last time you heard a gun shot around your neighborhood? Or have you ever seen a real gun? Have you ever seen someone being held up or seen a dead body? All of these questions may sound awful, but my answer to all of them is a big “yes”, because it’s something I cope with everyday. With a 50% poverty rate and a 70% literacy rate, My Motherland is bleeding. The country is split into two sections: the “Indigenas,” which are descendants of the Mayans, and the “Ladinos.” Most of the indigenous or “indigena” population lives under the customs of their Mayan ancestors, while the Ladinos are “white people” who try to change with the world. Ever heard of inequality? Welcome to my country, where 1% of the population holds 70% of the country’s wealth. And that whole 1% is only shared by Ladinos.

The scandal of La Linea reveals the truth behind the scenes. It all started when CICIG accused Juan de Dios, an army general appointed by the president to run the Guatemalan Social Security Institute, of stealing money and medicines from the Institute and bribing several companies. It didn’t take long for the truth to become evident. The institute had problems to cope with, as the heads and managers of each department throughout the country had been removed and Juan de Dios had appointed new ones, friends of his (a lot of them from the army). It came to the extent that the owner of a spa was appointed head of one of those departments, and never set foot on the institute while being paid a juicy salary.

My Motherland is bleeding, and her sons and daughters are responsible for that. A few weeks ago, the UN came to the country to investigate its social programs, and came to the conclusion that Guatemala is the country with the lowest investment in social projects. Social projects are never implemented – or even planned – because the money is practically stolen. One third of the country’s budget is stolen by our politicians. While CICIG, a group of foreigners, is hunting down the sinners of my Motherland, my Guatemalan brothers and sisters do not understand the urge to reform our laws. Politicians in my country have something called “inmunidad,” which means that if they ever commit a crime, politicians cannot be convicted unless the Congress votes in favor the conviction. This set of laws was legislated a long time ago by the army generals who ruled the country, and I dare to say that it’s the 21st century, and we still live under medieval a government and set of rules.

The source of all of our problems is called “Lack of Education.” Ever wondered why a country is plagued by violence? “Lack of Education.” Ever wondered why poor countries still exist on the 21st century? “Lack of Education.” My country spends an average of Q5 (five quetzales) per kid on education everyday. A US Dollar is equivalent to approximately Q7.60, which means that the government spends $0.66 on each kid everyday. A recent study by UNESCO says that a raise to Q15.50 per kid (roughly $2) will be enough to raise the education standard. I know that won’t happen. Guatemala has one of the largest populations of young adults (17-23 years) in the world, and these young adults marched on the streets and filled Guatemala City’s streets with hope. 180,000 Guatemalans stood on the plaza singing and protesting against the corruption, forcing the Vice President, and later the President, to resign.

But my Motherland is bleeding. Our three top presidential candidates are a famous Guatemalan comedian being paid and controlled by army generals (the same generals who paid for our convicted president’s campaign), a former First Lady who divorced her husband in order to become president (people related to the president cannot become president according to our laws), and a businessman linked to drug trafficking, frauds and various corruption cases whose candidate for Vice President is accused of laundering approximately a billion dollars. Yes, you heard right, one billion. The money being stolen by our politicians and public figures is enough to ease the country’s pain. Our Vice President earns more money that the Australian Prime Minister. How is it possible that the Vice President of a third world country plagued with hunger and poverty earns more money than the Prime Minister of a rich and educated country? Would the United States vote for Jerry Seinfeld if he ever decided to become president while being backed by a set of ultra conservative army generals?

My Motherland is Bleeding. My country needs a central government that will work hard for the country’s well being. My country needs a new generation of educated young adults who can soon take power and ease my Motherland’s pain. My country needs to stop electing Army Generals. My country needs to stop idolizing the same Army that killed hundred of thousands of innocents during our civil war. My country needs to stop funding an army that stands idle because we do not wage a war. My country needs to change its medieval and primitive ways in order to progress. My brothers and sisters need to worry about their children’s future, because my Motherland is bleeding.

Peter Stone

3 Comments

1. I simply want to say I’m beginner to blogging and site-building and seriously savored your blog site. Almost certainly I’m planning to bookmark your blog post . You amazingly come with awesome writings. Thanks for sharing your website.

2. I conceive this site has got some real wonderful information for everyone. “The penalty of success is to be bored by the attentions of people who formerly snubbed you.” by Mary Wilson Little.

3. I do trust all of the ideas you have presented for your post. They’re really convincing and can definitely work. Nonetheless, the posts are very brief for starters. May just you please extend them a bit from next time? Thanks for the post.